Where is the spark plug on a lawn mower?
Spark plugs are typically located on the back or side of a lawn mower engine. Look for a short wire that's about 1/4-in. -thick leading to the top of a short, cylindrical protrusion from the engine. If you're not sure where the spark plug is, consult your owner's manual.
Beside above, does a riding lawnmower have a spark plug?
Replace your riding lawnmower's spark plug after every 100 hours of use and before storing the mower for the winter months. A damaged spark plug can decrease fuel efficiency, cause the engine to run poorly, leave deposits on the cylinder head and/or cause ignition problems.
Correspondingly, how do you check a spark plug on a riding lawn mower?
Rewind the rope around the flywheel and turn the lawn mower's ignition switch on. Pull the rope to spin the flywheel and watch for a spark on the original spark plug. If a spark is present, the spark plug is working properly. An absence of spark will require replacement of the spark plug.
How do I know if my lawnmower spark plug is bad?
Here's How to Know if a Lawn Mower Spark Plug is Bad
- You can't get the engine to fire up at all.
- You have to tug extra hard for longer than usual on the rewind.
- Your lawn mower loses power while moving.
- The gas runs out quicker than it used to.
How often should you change the spark plug in a lawn mower?
What is the recommended spark plug gap?For most racing applications, you usually want the plug gap to be between 0.020 and 0.040 of an inch. Most engine builders seem to settle around 0.035 of an inch. Factors such as the type of ignition you run, cylinder heads, fuel and even timing can affect how much gap will work best for you.
What size socket do I need to remove a spark plug?Most spark plugs require a 5/8" (16mm) size spark plug socket. This refers to the size of the flats on the spark plug that are in contact with the socket.
Who makes the best spark plugs for small engines?Our Top Picks
- Best Overall. Champion Copper Plus 71 Spark Plug. Photo: amazon.com. ...
- Best Bang For The Buck. Maxpower 334058 Spark Plug For Riding Mowers. Photo: amazon.com. ...
- Upgrade Pick. E3 Spark Plugs E3. ...
- Best Platinum. Briggs & Stratton 5062K Spark Plug Platinum. ...
- Best Iridium. Fram Autolite XP5325 Iridium XP Spark Plug.